Do I need a lawyer before talking to the police?

Being suspected of a criminal offence and being spoken to by police or prosecuting agencies can be very stressful. We strongly suggest that you speak with a criminal defence lawyer before speaking to police. We can be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so call us on 1300 557 884 any time if police wish to speak to you.

What types of cases does Fisher Dore handle?

We practice in all criminal law and defence matters from traffic offences to murder, drug importation and serious white collar crime. We have been involved in some of the State’s largest, most notable and complex trials and we undertake more criminal appeals than anyone else.

If you are charged with a crime or are being questioned by the police or other law enforcement and have a question about whether you need a lawyer, contact Fisher Dore for a free case review.

What is the difference between a conviction and a no conviction?

When you are sentenced for an offence, a Judge or Magistrate may have to decide whether or not to record a conviction against you. If a conviction is recorded, it becomes a part of your criminal history. If it is not recorded, then you may, in some circumstances, deny that you have any criminal history for that offence. There are some exceptions to this, such as when applying for some specific licences or jobs, and you should seek further advice from us if this situation arises.

Will a conviction effect my employment?

A conviction may affect your current employment. It may also affect your future employment or travel. We will discuss your sentencing options with you when we meet with you.

I am not an Australian Citizen. Will a criminal conviction (or ‘criminal record’) affect my visa or

An existing temporary visa may be cancelled, or a visa application may be refused (including an application for permanent residency) if a non-citizen fails to pass the ‘character test’. We can help determine whether you would pass the ‘character test’ when we meet with you.

Should I appeal my sentence/conviction?

If you are questioning the outcome of your conviction or sentence, you should call our office immediately. Strict time limits apply when appealing a sentence or conviction. Our office prides itself on undertaking more criminal appeals than anyone else, and being one of the most successful appellate law firms in Queensland.

Will I lose my driver’s licence?

You may lose your licence. It will depend on the nature of the offence. We recommend that you make an appointment to see one of our solicitors as soon as possible to discuss your license.

Will I get my property back?

Possibly. Depending on what you are charged with, the police may seize your property. We will consider your charges and provide you with advice regarding your property.

Does Fisher Dore charge hourly rates or fixed fees?

Contact us for a free case review and we will explain our fees and give you a quote. Most of the time we charge a fixed fee but if your fees are subject to change, we will discuss this with you first. We ensure that our fee disclosures are clear and we are always here to explain the breakdown to you.

Can I enter into a payment program?

Your lawyer will be happy to discuss the option of a payment plan with you.

Should you have other questions or concerns, please contact our office on 1300 557 884 or email mail@fisherdore.com.au

Call us